ABI 373A question...

Bruce Roe broe at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu
Sat Jun 19 08:46:00 EST 1993

In article <18JUN93.12531936 at msgcg.wustl.edu>, wetsel_r at msgcg.wustl.edu writes...
>Greetings:
>I've read posts concerning the 373A sequencer.  We currently use Taq sequencing
>for everything but was wondering if sequenase can be used as well.  We know
>that it can but we were wondering if anything different, protocol or
>additional equipment, is needed in order to make it work?  I've read
>something about a 5 filter wheel is necessary in order to use Sequenase???
>Any comments would be appreciated...
>
>Thanks in advance
>David
>haviland at kids.wustl.eduADD/EDIT

Sequenase can be used and is the recommended enzyme for ABI's "new"
fluorescent terminators.  Yes, additional equipment, specifically installation
of a 5 filter wheel is necessary and Rick Wilson, who FYI, is at WashU,  is
one of the authors on a NAR paper describing the use of these "new"
terminators.  You might contact him and/or ABI for further details and
cost of the upgrade (it's around $7500 - $10,000 for the new wheel and
software).

The "new" kits (yes kits because ABI is not yet selling ONLY the terminators
so we can't yet make our own reagents) cost something like $500 - $750 for
100 template reactions and use Sequenase because the Taq polymerase does
not work as well as Sequenase with these fluor. terminators.

IMHO, this upgrade is a good idea and the results are much better than
with the "old" Taq requiring fluor. terminators.

--Cheers......bruce