sickness due to genetech ?

R.G. Walters mbrgw at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Sun Jun 20 10:18:34 EST 1993

In article <bmw-190693131858 at mi1.molbio.ku.dk> bmw at biobase.aau.dk (Berthe M. Willumsen) writes:

>Don't forget that SV40 was a contaminant virus in the polio vaccine we all
>received in the 50'ties; its oncogenicity in humans must be one of the best
>studied in the world. If it was anywhere near that of the experimental
>lab-retroviruses like ras and src in their hosts, we would know.

My point was that if anyone was stupid enough to clone an active oncogene into
a viable virus such as SV40, then the result would be an extremely powerful
tumour inducing agent which was readily transferred between individuals.
The capacity of people to do stupid things is one of the many reasons why
(no matter how stupid the rules may seem) rules on lab safety should be
followed.

Robin Walters.                      Robert Hill Institute, Sheffield UK.

I got bored with my old .sig
So here's a new one