EtdBr cleanup - need advice

Larry Hale lhale at UPEI.CA
Tue Jun 22 09:01:57 EST 1993

Now that everyone is thinking about Ethidium bromide, I would appreciate
some advice about a spill we just had.

Over the weekend, a student spilled a small (20 ml) bottle of 20 mg/ml EtdBr
in water off the bench and onto the floor. I found out about it late
yesterday. The solution has seeped between the floor tiles. We thought it
easiest to just pull up the tiles and replace them. However, the mortar
beneath the tiles is stained as well, and we are having no success getting
it completely off.

Is there any solution that we can use to completely remove the remaining
EtdBr before we replace the tiles? Is there any significant risk to leaving
it somewhat stained, and simply tiling over?

Thanks a lot.

*  Larry Hale                                             *
*    Biology Dept., Univ. of Prince Edward Island         *
*    Charlottetown, P.E.I., Canada                        *
*  The opinions expressed are not those of UPEI, sadly.   *