EtBr ussage

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 12:52:44 EST 1993

>When I soak gels, unless they are extensively washed, they leak EtBr... look
>at your gloves under UV.  EtBr pre-mixed in the gels never seems to leak
>out, and it just a gel to dispose of, not litres of EtBr.
>

>  cheers, John
>
>  John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
>  Institute for Biological Sciences   |
>  National Research Council of Canada | Email to my other NRC accounts
>  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.            | is usually forwarded here.
>          *** Disclaimer:  All opinions are mine, not NRC's! ***

I've always added EtBr to my gels and not the buffer but it electrophoreses
out of the gel as it runs (opposite to DNA migration) so in due course ending
up in the buffer. The gel may be free of EtBr but the buffer then needs
disposing. Back to square one!

 Duncan Clark                       | Internet:   duncan at genesys@demon.co.uk
 GeneSys Ltd.                       | Compuserve: 100015.1406 at compuserve.com