EtBr Usage

Bob DeLisio delisior at
Thu Jun 24 18:29:55 EST 1993

Hello All:

Someone in this thread suggested putting the microwave in the hood when
melting agarose that contains etbr. In my lab we do not allow solutions
with etbr anywhere near the microwave!

We have found that if you double the agarose concentration of the bottle you
are heating and omit the etbr you can then cool it down with an equal volume of
a solution containing 2X etbr in 1X running buffer. This avoids volatilizing
etbr and helps speed the gel solidification.

 _/   _/     Robert DeLisio
  _/ _/      Roche Institute of Molecular Biology
    _/       Roche Research Center
   _/ _/     Nutley, New Jersey 07110-1199
  _/   _/
   _/ _/     Voice: (201) 235-3728