COS cell transfection...

wetsel_r at msgcg.wustl.edu wetsel_r at msgcg.wustl.edu
Fri Jun 25 14:28:01 EST 1993

Hi Netters:

The majority of papers using expression libraries employ COS-7 cells.  When
I look in the ATCC catalog both COS-1 and COS-7 are derived from CV-1
fibroblasts.  THE only difference between them I can find is that COS-1
appears to have an integrated copy of the complete SV-40 early region.  Both
say they are suitable for transfection especially if ones vector requires
the large T antigen (pCMD8, PRC/CMV, and any other vector using the SV40
origin of replication).  Has anyone found a fundamental difference in
in transfection effeciency between these two cells?  We have COS-1 and they
transfect just fine, but can anyone tell me why most expression libraries
use COS-7?

Thanks in advance,
David
haviland at kids.wustl.edu