sequencing gel pouring

brknig01 at uctvax.uct.ac.za brknig01 at uctvax.uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 28 06:09:21 EST 1993

We pour our sequencing gels flat... the bottom plat is layed on a support, the
spacers clamped in place, and the acrylamide poured on the plate near the
end furthest from you. the top plate is then placed, lower edge first, across
the pool of acrylamide, and lowered smoothly. If you sequencing setup has
sponge stops (like the hoefer rigs do) then you can rest the top plate on
these, take a breath, and 'ooze' them down off the sponges flat onto the
spacers. With practice, this method makes for perfect gels every time, and
uses as little as 70ml of acrylamide. Once aligned, th eplates are then
clamped. One usually has a few dribbles from the bottom and tops of the
plates onto the bench, but if this is done on a big plastic sheet, the mess
can be collected up and trashed once the gel has set. I suggest a few
practice runs with water first, though, as it can be wastfull the first few
times!

Try it and see.

Nigel Barker