Ultracentrifugation of large #'s of small samples

HEPAD at TTACS1.TTU.EDU HEPAD at TTACS1.TTU.EDU
Mon Jun 28 13:24:00 EST 1993

Peter A. Doris
Cell Biology and Anatomy
Texas Tech University Health Science Center
Lubbock, TX USA 79430

Email: HEPAD at TTACS1.TTU.EDU
phone 806 743 3046
fax 806 743 2747

I am trying to figure out the best way to make a large # of microsomal
preparations in a short time. I need to run samples at 40000g to 100000g.
I will be producing a large number of samples from a range of tissues
(50-100). My problem is to find a centrifuge/rotor combination which will
allow me to keep sample volumes small (ie 1-2ml), but will allow me to run
many samples in the same spin. I have a method for spinning in microfuge
tubes by floating them in water, but it employs a six place rotor so I
can't get my samples done rapidly.
Any suggestions for dealing with this problem would be appreciated.