Gel leaks (was Salt Gradient Gels)

neale at mbcf.stjude.org neale at mbcf.stjude.org
Mon Jun 28 17:23:09 EST 1993

In article <124844 at bu.edu>, pfoster at bu.edu (Patricia Foster) writes:

>    Leaking sequencing gels is something I have had *years* of experience
> with!  My current method which works very well is to seal the plates with
> Scotch 3M tape (purchased at an outrageous price from BRL -- anyone know
> of a better supplier?)
> --

It's been a while since I used gel sealing tape (I use 0.4 mm gels with a
bottom spacer, and seal the gel using a small volume of acrylamide as a
"plug"), however my recollection is that 3M electrical tape is the same or
works as well as the tape supplied by BRL.

Relative cost was $15 from BRL vs $2.50 for the electrical tape.

Hope this helps.

Geoff Neale
St Jude Research Hospital
Memphis TN