Hybridisation oven questions

Ari-Pekka Kvist kvist at lbiok-1.oulu.fi
Tue Jun 29 08:36:58 EST 1993

>We have just bought a hybridisation oven and i was wondering if you all out
>there have any tips on making the most effective use out of it..

My opinion is that you have to think very carefully which oven to buy, ie do
you want to do gene library screenings, northern blots etc. We do quite
much library screenings and therefore we need bottles which are larger
than usual. We use 8 cm (diameter) tubes in our ovens.

>ie...
>
>What has been the maximum number of filters used per bottle?

we use 10 to 20 filters/bottle

>Do you really need to use the mesh provided for placing between filters?

No

>What kind of hyb solution volume to surface area of filter do people use?

5 to 15 ml hyb solution

>Has anyone altered the hyb soln composition as a result of using these
ovens?

no

>Are any brands of filter/membrane better than others in these ovens.?

Cellulose  Nitrate works fine

>Do people simply use bag hybridisation methods in the ovens?

That's why you buy ovens, to get rid from bags.

Ari-Pekka Kvist
phoenix.oulu.fi