Silver Stain::Destaining

Wed Jun 30 08:22:19 EST 1993

> I have a silver stained gel in which the staining was to say the least
> overzealous and now the gel is all silver!  It is a rather important
> compound I am after and I need to destain and start again.
> Does anyone know how to get rid of the color?
	This method is from the BIORAD silver staining protocol.
It has worked well for me.  In fact, it appeared to me that by this
i.e., staining gels for the second time following destaining made
the gels looks much better than what I had the first time.  Probably
because of removal of the minute amounts of impurities?

Dissolve 37 g of NaCl and 37 g Cupric sulfate in 850 ml of dist water
Add conc ammonium hydroxide until the ppt that forms is completely
	dissolved.
Adjust to 1 liter.
Prepare a second solution with 436 g of sodium thiosulfate in 1 liter.
Prepare destaining solution by mixing equal parts of two solutions
	immediately prior to use.

Destaining can be stopped with 10% acetic acid.
Raj
bsh at med.pitt.edu