seqn gel pouring

Dan Diaz bl275 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Wed Jun 30 21:06:49 EST 1993

In a previous article, brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU () says:

>to *eliminate* gel leaking simply do this: catalyze ~5 mls of your gel soln
>and pour into your gel from the top, keeping yuor plates VERTICAL. Use enough
>TEMED for it to polymerize in about 10-20 min. When set just pour the rest on
>top, lay flat and insert comb of your choice. Because you pour it vertically,
>all bubbles will rise to the top and pop. I might add that I pour the 5 mls
>onto loosely taped plates without any leakage. The 5 mls is strong enough to hold
>the gel above it.

my lab doesnt bother with tape or acrylamide plugs or nuttin.  Clamp your
plates on the sides.  Prepare your acrylamide solution and lay your plates
flat on a few empty pipet tip boxes over some disposable bench matting
material.  Put your acryl mix in a plastic 100 mL cylinder and begin slowly
pouring near one edge of the plates.  Move the cylinder slowly across to
the other side as you continue pouring slowly.  When you have gotten to the
other side and the acrylamide front is progressing down the plates, return
the cylinder to the center and continue pouring slowly.  Capillary action
will do the rest.  If your plates are clean, bubbles will be rare, and
should they occur, can be removed quickly with a long bent piece of thin
wire.  When the acryl solution reaches the bottom, a bit will spill, but
thats what the bench matting is for.  Insert the comb, clamp, voila.  A tad
messy, but it's easy and its yet to fail us.
--
Dan `Diz' Diaz      "My opinions are those of all intelligent people"
BL275 at cleveland.freenet.edu