Nensorb20 query

John Alsobrook ALSOBROOK at biomed.med.yale.edu
Tue Mar 2 11:51:24 EST 1993

In <930225163657.20213945 at FCRFV2.NCIFCRF.GOV> FORNACE at FCRFV2.NCIFCRF.GOV writes:

> Hi Netters,
>
> A simple methods query:  how much organic solvent
> will interfere with oligonucleotide binding to
> Duponts Nensorb20?
> e.g., after a phenol/chloroform extraction, is the
> level of organic solvent in the aqueous phase a
> problem.  Can it be overcome by diluting (how much)
> or by extracting with something like ether and then
> blowing off the ether?
>
> Thanks
>
> Al Fornace
> email: fornace at ncifcrf.gov

Can't answer your question directly, but I used to use Nensorb20s to purify
32-P end-labelled oligos; I never bothered with an organic extraction, I
just killed the enzyme with heat (65C for 5 minutes, or something like that)
then followed the Nensorb protocol (MeOH, TTE, etc). Everything worked fine.
So the short version is: if you don't use phenol, it won't interfere!

* John Alsobrook    Child Study Center    Yale University School of Medicine *
* internet: alsobrook at biomed.med.yale.edu / bitnet: alsobrook at yalemed.bitnet *
* "Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car   *
*  keys to teenage boys." -- P.J. O'Rourke                                   *