Staining DNA on nylon?

Steven Brenner seb1005 at
Wed Mar 3 18:28:54 EST 1993

In article <1993Mar2.173545.20132 at> ALSOBROOK at (John Alsobrook) writes:
   In <1993Feb26.124033.770 at> bioc07 at writes:
   > By an act of omission, an acrylamide gel containing DNA was
   > electroblotted before the DNA could be stained with EthBr. Is there an
   > easy way to stain the membrane after Southern blotting to get the
   > position of the markers and such.
   > Many thanks
   > --
   >         Craig Marshall          bioc07 at
   >         Biochemistry Department
   >         University of Otago     Phone 64 3 479 7849
   >         P.O. Box 56             Fax   64 3 479 7866
   >         Dunedin, New Zealand

	Sorry, I didn't see this posting the first time.  The Maniatis
book claims that you can also stain DNA on the filter (make sure you
fix it there first.  Indeed, if you haven't fixed it, you can always
electroblot it back into a (different) gel!) using EthBr, just as in
the gel.  I've tried this, and gotten mediocre results, but results
Steven E. Brenner               |  Internet    seb1005 at
Department of Biochemistry      |  JANET       seb1005 at
University of Cambridge         |  Laboratory  +44 223 333671
Tennis Court Road               |  Home        +44 223 314964
Cambridge CB2 1QW, UK           |  Lab Fax     +44 223 333345