Can we avoid photographing gels?

FARMERJ at BYU.EDU FARMERJ at BYU.EDU
Tue Mar 9 14:54:05 EST 1993

My laboratory and an adjacent one are spending a lot of money to
accumulate a very large number of photographs of gels (agarose gels
of RAPD, PCR, and restriction fragments stained with ethidium
bromide and excited by 300 nm light).  We would prefer to skip the
photographic step by placing a gel on a UV light source and
capturing an image with a TV camera.  Using the equipment on hand,
we have had little success capturing images of sufficient contrast.
If you have had success with this kind of procedure, please let me
know the equipment you use-- brand names, model numbers, etc.  We
would like to know about the camera, lens, lens hood, digitizing
board, software, and anything else that is pertinent.

Thanks.

James L. Farmer
Department of Zoology
571 WIDB