Survey: does maltose help or hurt lambda plaque size?

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 9 14:04:35 EST 1993

With maltose for improved efficiency of top agar plate/plaque formation
especially if Lambda library (cDNA in gt11 for example).

Without maltose for liquid cultures for growing the E.coli for lysates for
Lambda phage DNA preparation ... to reduce "abortive" infection of already
lysed/dead cells ... thus increasing phage DNA yield.

Andre Hamel
Manitoba Vet. Virol.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
CANADA