5'->3' exonucleases

Eric C. Kofoid kofoid at bioscience.utah.edu
Thu Mar 11 14:49:05 EST 1993

ctwittwer at msscc.med.utah.edu writes:
> >Exonuclease III from E. coli won't touch a 3' overhang.  I'd like to
use an
> >exo which won't touch a 5' overhang.  I had assumed that any of the
> >strand specific 5'->3' exo's such as lambda exo and T7 gene 6 would do
> >trick.  I looked into it a bit, and I have the impression that both of
> >enzymes will in fact chew from a 5' overhang.  Is this impression
> >Is there any exo which will do what I want?  What's the deal with the
> >exo activity of DNA polymerase 1?
> >
> >-Josh Cherry

T7 DNA polymerase has a similar set of activities (and absences thereof).
Both enzymes, acting as exonucleases, chew base-paired 3' ends much more
slowly than they do single-stranded 3' ends. Thus, they are of limited
in gap propagation or creation of nested deletions. On the other hand,
not sure if anyone has ever tried to optimize the reactions for such