Designing GC Rich Oligos

u6064043 at ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au u6064043 at ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Mar 12 23:17:27 EST 1993

Hi netters,

I'm working on a plant protein which is very rich in Proline, Serine, Alanine
etc. The aim of my work is to clone the gene from the protein sequence. So
here is the problem: Pro, Ala codons are high in GC content, and to make
it worse, they have 4-6 degeneracies. Imaging a primer having >80% GC and
>500 degeneracies! So far it proves to be difficult to do PCR and even when
there is a single PCR band, it turn out to be something completely meaningless.
This protein is not homologous to other cloned genes, such as extensin, apart
from the Proline stretch. Any suggestions?

Du