lambda gt10 vs gt11

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 19 12:04:13 EST 1993

Lambda gt10 is cloned into at Eco RI site in the cI (repressor) gene,
allowing for SELECTION of recombinant phage. One CANNOT screen gt10 phage
with antibody because there's no promoter to drive transcription through
cDNA inserts in this vector. Thus, ONLY suited for nucleic acid probing!

Lambda gt11 on other hand is suitable for BOTH antibody AND nucleic acid
probing. A cDNA insert has perhaps 1 in 6 chance of being in right reading
frame and orientation with respect to the lacZ promoter. Thus in gt11 every
recombinant cDNA clone in theory has 1 in 6 chance of being expressed as
fusion protein which in turn may be probed by antibody. ALL recombinant
cDNAs should be readilly probed by nucleic acid.

Cheers

Andre Hamel
Manitoba Vet.Virol.
Winnipeg, MAnitoba