histological sections of insects

Robert Huber lobsterman at edvz.uni-graz.ada.at
Mon Mar 22 04:00:31 EST 1993

Hello netters,

Does anybody have any protocols concerning the pretreatment of insect
cuticle. We try to section whole insects to get an idea of trachea and
several structures dealing with hearing that are stuck to the inside of
the cuticle. This covering gets very hard and brittle during embedding
and tears the sections to shreds.

We have heard of "Chlordioxide - neutral" but the company that used to
sell it does not have it in its repertoire any more. Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Oh, I forgot to say that we like to embed in Paraplast.
and section at 10-15um.

Thanks a stack,

Lobsterman
Robert Huber                                       /\
Snailmail: Karl-Franzens-University Graz          /  \
  Dept. Zoology, Div. Neuroethology            --/----\--
  Universitaetsplatz 2                         |_|____|_|
  A-8010 Graz                                   |  /\  |
  AUSTRIA                                       |  \/  |___
EMail: Lobsterman at edvz.uni-graz.ada.at          |______/
Tel: Austria (316) 380-5281 or 380-5597      __/ Grazer
Fax: Austria (316) 381-255                  /    Uhrturm