Software wanted for densitometry

Robert Horton horton at
Mon Mar 22 19:02:58 EST 1993

	I know of two public-domain programs that can be used for densitometry,
NCSA GelReader (version 2.0.4) and NIH Image. I have used GelReader to find
the sizes and intensities of ethidium-stained bands in gels; it also works for
black-on-white images like Comassie-stained gels or autorads. We capture
our images on a CCD camera (UVP Imagestore 5000 system), transfer the file to
a Macintosh using Apple File Exchange, and analyze size and intensity using
	GelReader can be obtained by ftp from
	Both GelReader and Image get occasional coverage in,
which might be a good place to ask for further opinions.

Bob Horton            /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at 624-3790