Software wanted for densitometry

Robert Horton horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Mon Mar 22 19:02:58 EST 1993

	I know of two public-domain programs that can be used for densitometry,
NCSA GelReader (version 2.0.4) and NIH Image. I have used GelReader to find
the sizes and intensities of ethidium-stained bands in gels; it also works for
black-on-white images like Comassie-stained gels or autorads. We capture
our images on a CCD camera (UVP Imagestore 5000 system), transfer the file to
a Macintosh using Apple File Exchange, and analyze size and intensity using
GelReader.
	GelReader can be obtained by ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
	Both GelReader and Image get occasional coverage in bionet.software,
which might be a good place to ask for further opinions.

Bob Horton            /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790