ubiqinone-1

marder at agri.huji.ac.il marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Thu Mar 25 21:17:49 EST 1993

In article <9303250147.AA06310 at morgan.angis.su.OZ.AU>, endo at angis.su.OZ.AU (Prince of Wales Endocrinology Unit) writes:
> I am going to do some work on respiratory chain defects in mitochondrial myo
> myopathies.But I have a problem of finding one of the very important chemicals
> which is UBIQINONE-1 (as electron acceptor in the assay). It doesn't seem to
> be commercially available. I'll very much appreciate if anyone could give
> me any help or advice.

Ubiquinones are all derivs. of 2,3-dimethoxy-5-methyl-1,4-benzoquinone
obtained by adding an isoprenoid chain to the "6" position.
The various type are referred to as UQ-n where n is the number of carbons
in the sidechain (always a multiple of 5).
Another naming scheme is to call them Coenzyme Q-n but here the n refers
to the number of C5 units e.g.:-
  UQ-50 is Coenzyme Q10
  UQ-45 is Coenzyme Q9
  UQ-35 is Coenzyme Q7
  UQ-30 is Coenzyme Q6
  UQ-10 is Coenzyme Q2
  UQ-0  os Coenzyme Q0 (2,3-dimethoxy-5-methyl-1,4-benzoquinone)
These are all listed in my Sigma catalogue.
But as for Ubiquinone-1?  Could this mean a single C5 unit (i.e. UQ-5 or
Coenzyme Q1).  Unfortunately Sigma don't list this.

--
                                 '      Jonathan B. Marder
Internet: MARDER at AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL |      Department of Agricultural Botany