Software wanted for densitometry

Francois Baneyx baneyx at cheme.washington.edu
Thu Mar 25 20:11:40 EST 1993

In article <C4BEtv.MyC at news.cis.umn.edu>, horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu (Robert
Horton) wrote:

> 	I know of two public-domain programs that can be used for densitometry,
> NCSA GelReader (version 2.0.4) and NIH Image. I have used GelReader to find
> the sizes and intensities of ethidium-stained bands in gels; it also works for
> black-on-white images like Comassie-stained gels or autorads. We capture
> our images on a CCD camera (UVP Imagestore 5000 system), transfer the file to
> a Macintosh using Apple File Exchange, and analyze size and intensity using
> GelReader.
> 	GelReader can be obtained by ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
> 	Both GelReader and Image get occasional coverage in bionet.software,
> which might be a good place to ask for further opinions.
>

> Bob Horton            /\ "Crash programs fail because of the theory that
> U. of Minnesota, CBS  || with nine women pregnant you get a baby a month"
> 1479 Gortner Ave.    /||\   -Werner von Braun.  Disclaimer:"Bob who?"
> St. Paul, MN 55108    ^^   horton at molbio.cbs.umn.edu/(612) 624-3790

Hi bionetters,

Sorry I did not get back earlier. It seems that Bob's answer summarizes the
general feedback I got about what densitometry programs are  available in
the public domain (Gel reader and Image). I heard some people formulating
reservations about Gel reader although I never used it before. Image is OK
by my standards as long as the image capture is good. Thanks to everybody
for their answers.

Fran
ois Baneyx
Univ. of Washington