Clontech strikes again 8-(

Roger Wiegand rcwieg at ccmail.monsanto.com
Tue Mar 30 10:53:57 EST 1993

It was with sad amusement that I read the article in the March 19 Science
(v259, p1685) discussing contamination of a Clontech human cDNA library
with yeast sequences. Several years ago I isolated the S. cerevisiae
N-myristoyl transferase gene from two different Clontech Candida albicans
cDNA libraries (one library turned out to be straight cerevisiae, the
second was merely heavily contaminated) before making my own library and
getting it right.

How widespread is this phenomenon in commercial (or popular
non-commercial) libraries? Are there more cautionary tales out there?

Roger Wiegand
rcwieg at ccmail.monsanto.com              *****************
Monsanto Corp. Research, Mol. Biol.     *  Ignotum per  *
700 Chesterfield Parkway North          *    ignotius   *
Chesterfield, MO 63198                  *****************