spin-columns (homemade)

Bill Melchior wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov
Tue Mar 30 11:12:10 EST 1993

Last fall, there were a couple of postings about home-made spin columns for
cleaning up dye-terminator sequencing reactions.  As I get started on this,
I have couple of questions:

Raj Shankarappa gave a quite detailed procedure, which involves Sephadex
G-50 equilibrated in 0.3 M Na acetate; the product is EtOH precipitated.
I'd like to know why he does it this way rather than use H2O and
evaporation, as in the ABI protocol.  (Is it as simple as not having a
SpeedVac available, or is there something else?)

Michael Benedik said that Sephadex G-50 works, but his lab prefers BioRad
P-10.  Why?

Thanks, Bill
Views expressed are not necessarily those of NCTR, its sponsoring agencies,
or the United States government.

Bill Melchior                                ||       MISSING LINK
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||    Man's a kind
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||    of Missing Link,
(501) 543-7206                               ||    fondly thinking
                                             ||    he can think.
WMELCHIOR at NTET.NCTR.FDA.GOV                  ||       from Grooks, by Piet Hein