PCR/plates/oil

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Sat May 1 14:22:20 EST 1993

I got an email from Patricia (Foster?) of Boston, before I could finish
reading her letter our system temporarily "crashed", resulting in loss
of her letter when I was able to log back on. A Netfind search I came up
empty.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion about trying a clothes iron. I HAD read
her earlier reply where she suggested that. I've got an old iron that I
use for waxing my skis, so I'm going to give it a try. First on tubes then
on plates, in our thermocyclers. Any suggestions how hot the iron ought to
be? I recon between 70 and 90oC might do, so I'll try at those two temps
(low setting and just a touch above low setting on the iron).

Also, anybody have experience with thrmo cycling ovens? We currently use
the MJR 60 tube and MJR 96 well plate machines. However, larger number of
samples NEED to be processed daily and neither machine has capacity. We're
considering giving a couple of thermo cycling ovens a try. Hope to be able
to process AT LEAST  six 96 well plates worth of PCR rx'ns DAILY.

Any reccomendations, anecdotes, experience, suggestions, etc?

Thanks again!

Andre Hamel                                 email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services                lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
545 University Crescent                    home tel.: (204) 275-1204
Winnipeg, Manitoba                               FAX: (204) 945-8062
CANADA
R3T 5S6