zymolyase

Cheung C. Yue ccy at po.CWRU.Edu
Wed May 5 17:29:44 EST 1993

In a previous article, ludwig at biology.ucsc.edu (Bob Ludwig) says:

>Does anyone know of a vendor for zymolyase to protoplast yeast with a
>reasonable price? The best we can find is ICN, which wants $380 for
>250 mg.
>
>Failing that, is their a zymolyase alternative wwwith which to
>protoplast yeast?

Some years back I needed to extract DNA from a bunch of fungi and
stumbled upon Mureinase which is available from USB.  Price is considerably
better than what you quoted.  One minor problem seems to be degradation
of DNA in the presence of magnesium although we never carefully sorted
that out.  I did not use it to protoplast yeast, but I gather it is
possible with this enzyme mixture.  I also vaguely recall reading somewhere
that one of the active ingredient has been cloned, but I may be wrong.

C Cho Yue