Nitric Oxide

M Souter vls at festival
Thu May 6 11:04:45 EST 1993

Speaking not as a scientist, but more as a clinician dipping his fingers
into science - I'm interested in assays of nitric oxide from blood
This is in a situation which precludes the use of any synthase
inhibitors or other similar measures. Obviously the halflife of the NO
also renders direct estimation somewhat difficult. However I'm hoping
some kind soul may have come across or be aware of any techniques
(reliable) for assaying nitrate/nitrite end products or even
citrulline/arginine ratios. I have even been told of a possible NO
electrode, but cannot turn up any evidence of this. I'd be grateful if
anyone could give me any info they have on this, even of the negative

Mike Souter                         email vls at
Dept of Clin Neurosciences                msouter at
Univ of Edinburgh