DIG fun, pressure sensitive membranes..?

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Thu May 20 08:38:45 EST 1993

In article <901106c.447.737901793 at axe.acadiau.ca> 901106c at axe.acadiau.ca (TIM CHIPMAN) writes:
>From: 901106c at axe.acadiau.ca (TIM CHIPMAN)
>Subject: DIG fun, pressure sensitive membranes..?
>Date: Thu, 20 May 1993 13:43:12 GMT

>I have an `interesting question' for all those who have used the Boehringer
>Mannheim DIG DNA labeling and detection kit.

>yesterday, I completed the final step (color reaction step) on two nylon
>membranes. On both membranes, there was clearly visible the text which I had
>written on the outside of the ziplock bags in which the prehyb/hyp took
>place.

>I am curious: Does this indicate extreme pressure sensitivity of the
>membranes? (I don't press hard when I write with marking pens. The pen in
>question was a scripto med. point permanent black marker.)
>Other option: Is this indicative of ziplock back permiability to the ink?

>Has anyone had ANYTHING like this happen...?

>Thanks!

>........    Tim Chipman                ..................................

I use Lumiphos (the light-generating alk-phos. substrate) in my DIG-hybs,
and it doesn't even work with zip-lock bags.  All I have to do is touch the
filter-Ab-conjugate to a ziplock bag, and I get a black smear.  (I tried
this with half of a filter, and got half a smear, the other side was ok).

I have to use the heat-seal bags that i do my hybs in for my exposures.

cheers, John

John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
Institute for Biological Sciences,  | National Research Council of Canada,
Cell Physiology Group.              | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.