serine protease substrates -a summary

Wayne Woods wgwoods at ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU
Thu May 20 18:58:56 EST 1993

There were only two responses to my request for info. on potential colour
substrates for plate detection of serine proteases.
I haven't tried either of them out yet.
Wayne Woods
Dept. Microbiology
University of Melbourne

 I do not know if it would work, but acetylcholinesterase and butyryl-
cholinesterase (EC and think) are both serine
proteases and have well-established color reactions published.
The simplest is Ellman (ref in Sigma catalog) and Karnovsky and Roots (1964).
Hope this helps
Jim Hutchins
Dept of Anatomy
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr

There are a number of peptide-para-nitro anilide substrates that work well
with various serine proteases. These tend to be specific for the protease
being followed and in some cases are species specific. For example, BAPNA,
N-benzoyl-arginine-pNitroAnilide, is a chromogenic substrate for trypsin.
N-succinyl-A-A-P-F-pNitro anilide is a similar subtrate for human
neutrophil cathepsin G. These are commercially available from a number of
sources, including Sigma and possibly Pierce.
Bill Abrams
University of Pennsylvania.