serine protease substrates -a summary

Wayne Woods wgwoods at ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU
Thu May 20 18:58:56 EST 1993

There were only two responses to my request for info. on potential colour
substrates for plate detection of serine proteases.
I haven't tried either of them out yet.
Wayne Woods
Dept. Microbiology
University of Melbourne

1:
 I do not know if it would work, but acetylcholinesterase and butyryl-
cholinesterase (EC 3.1.1.7 and 3.1.1.8--I think) are both serine
proteases and have well-established color reactions published.
The simplest is Ellman (ref in Sigma catalog) and Karnovsky and Roots (1964).
Hope this helps
Jim
--
Jim Hutchins
Dept of Anatomy

2:
There are a number of peptide-para-nitro anilide substrates that work well
with various serine proteases. These tend to be specific for the protease
being followed and in some cases are species specific. For example, BAPNA,
N-benzoyl-arginine-pNitroAnilide, is a chromogenic substrate for trypsin.
N-succinyl-A-A-P-F-pNitro anilide is a similar subtrate for human
neutrophil cathepsin G. These are commercially available from a number of
sources, including Sigma and possibly Pierce.
Bill Abrams
University of Pennsylvania.