PCR Primer Extension

Bob DeLisio delisior at rnisd0.DNET.roche.com
Thu May 20 18:42:05 EST 1993

PCR primer extension is a  way to boost the signal of ordinary primer
extensions by PCR.  In most cases, primer extension alone produces a very weak
signal when using human mRNA as template.  I was therefore curious to know
whether someone has already solved this problem.

I have thought of extending the cDNA with terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase
and using a poly(t) primer to amplify the product of the cDNA synthesis but,
of course, I would have to sequence the PCR product generated.  This is not
a problem. Its just an extra step which, if I can, I would like to avoid.

I welcome any comments, suggestions or alternative methods and would post a
summary if one is requested.

Robert DeLisio