Zwitterionic buffers and strong ion exchangers?

C741SCB C741SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU
Mon May 24 11:41:58 EST 1993

Does anybody know anything about the interaction between zwitterionic
buffer systems and Q ion exchange resins? I am in the middle of
a protein purification that looks as if the next logical step involves
an anion exchanger equilibrated at below pH 7. For obvious reasons
I don't particularlywant to use a buffer system that will interact
with the column. I suspect that a zwitterionic system would pose less
of a problem as far as competition between the buffer and the proteins
of interest than say phosphate or acetate, but I haven't seen anything
in the literature dealing with this.

Allen Gathman  C741SCB at SEMOVM or C741SCB at SEMOVM.SEMO.EDU