Supressor strains and overexpression

Tae Shin tshin at husc8.harvard.edu
Mon May 24 23:27:51 EST 1993

Hi there;
	I've wondered about this question for a while, but have never been
certain of the answer.  Even Maniatis et al doesn't have a clear answer on
this.
	The question is: if I use a bacterial strain with a supressor
(e.g. SupB,C,D,E,F), will it supress the appropriate stop codons in an
protein overexpression vector?  Or is it somehow specific for phage?  I
noticed that most commericial expression vectors (e.g. pGEX) don't use the
_amber_ stop codon, which is commonly supressed in many bacterial strains.

Thanks in advance,

T.B. Shin
tshin at husc8.harvard.edu