Question re: DIG DNA detection and "Tie-Dye" problems....

TIM CHIPMAN 901106c at axe.acadiau.ca
Wed May 26 13:25:10 EST 1993

I have a question for all people who have sucessfully used the Boehringer
Mannheim DIG DNA labeling and detection kit. I have gone through the
procedure  a few times now. The first time doing the procedure, I used the
control DNA that came with the kit, and it worked perfectly. However, in the
4 attempts I have made since then, I have had varied degrees of sucess,
ranging from partial failure to total failure.

First puzzle:

I did two membranes in parallel, both with the same solutions, temperature
and duration washes, etc. One of the two membranes  came up a complete tie-
dye pattern.
In the other membrane, the control DNA lane lane "lit up", but all
other lanes failed. The absence of other lanes lighting up might have been
due to too low levels of DNA possibly? We used approx 5ul DNA solution
loaded per well, with DNA at a conc. of (approx) 250 ng/ul. {aside: Does
anyone have any comments on what levels of DNA they have used sucessfully?}

Second Puzzle:

I repeated the procedure, using a dilution series of DNA of varied levels,
to see if I could detect what level of DNA was required for detection. I
loaded lanes with 20,15, and 10 ul of DNA suspension, again at levels no
less than (approx) 250 ng/ul. (DNA extracted from one honey bee...). Went
through the whole kaboodle, and it developed with the control lane DNA (M-
13 probe, m-13 DNA in the control lane) visible; no other lanes lit up; and
the infamous tie-dye pattern. Blargh.

I followed the standard protocol to the letter. I was particularily
carefull on the  most recent attempt; as I am getting very tired of the
pretty tie-dye pattern (as is my advisor here...).

Does anyone have any recommendations or comments? I realize  that the tie-
dye pattern is a classic symptom of poor (low and high) stringency washing.

Thanks very much! I appreciate your time!

Tim Chipman
901106c at axe.acadiau.ca