job grades of personnel running ABI 373A DNA sequencers

David Johnstondaj daj at uk.ac.ic.nhm
Mon Nov 1 07:47:04 EST 1993

Hi,
some months ago, I asked the NET for its wisdom concerning the logistics of
running an ABI 373A DNA sequencer. Amongst the wisdom received was the fact
that, unless very tight control can be maintained, such a system should
have dedicated technical support rather than be multi-user operated.
On the basis of these responses, we have persuaded our Institution to fund
technical support for the machine which we have on order. However, since
funds are (as always) tight, they wish to appoint someone at the level of
UK Civil Service's Assistant Scientific Officer (ASO) Grade (16-18 year old
school leaver with O or A levels). We fear that this may be too junior a
level for the technical ability required and so would be very grateful if
anyone who either runs a 373A machine or employs someone to run it for
them, could e-mail us with the employment grade for the post.

Please reply direct to me. All replies will be treated with as strict a
confidence as anything with an e-mail address on it can be - no names
required.

Thanks in advance,

DAJ
David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)