Patents, Copyrights, and License Agreements

Bob DeLisio delisior at rnisd0.DNET.roche.com
Tue Nov 2 16:11:07 EST 1993

I apoligize to all who are bored with this discusion but I feel that I must
address this issue none the less:
__

A small, but vocal minority would have us all believe that it is ethical to
ignore patents, copyrights, and license agreements out of hand in the name of
science. They would also have us believe that this is especially true when
violations of the above are perpetrated by individuals or small groups of
limited means and otherwise good intent against large, multinational
corporations.

The fact of the matter is that regardless of how insignificant one believes a
violation to be, it is still a violation. Although two or three would disagree,
most believe it is wrong to make illegal copies of software or plagiarize just
"a sentence or two" of someone else's work or steal "just enough" of someone
else's product to complete their project. It is especially not justified for
the reason that it is, in the end, for a good cause. In the eyes of of this
great democratic-capitalist society, the ends do not justify the means. These
acts constitute Software Piracy, Plagiarism, and Patent Infringement all the
same.

Bob DeLisio
 _/   _/     Robert DeLisio
  _/ _/      Roche Institute of Molecular Biology
    _/       Roche Research Center
   _/ _/     Nutley, New Jersey 07110-1199
  _/   _/
   _/ _/     Voice: (201) 235-3728