RIPA buffer(horse of a different color)

dallas at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com dallas at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com
Tue Nov 2 11:17:11 EST 1993

In article <2as7tc$rdt at u.cc.utah.edu>, Helen McBride <helen_mcbride at hlthsci.med.utah.edu> writes:
> 	We don't use RIPA buffer here in our lab, but I have used it previously.
> The reference for the buffer is in PNAS 87:9396,1990.
> Here is my recipe:
> 20 mm Tris pH 7.4
> 50mm NaCl
> 50mm NaF
> 5mm EDTA
> 20mm Na pyrophosphate
> 1mm PMSF
> 1mm Na orthovanadate
> 1.0% TritonX-100
>
> In my limited experience the Triton is optional in some usages when lysis
> of cells is not needed. The reference should be clearer on this point.
> Hope this helps.
> Helen_McBride at hlthsci.med.utah.edu

And yet another recipe taken from O'Reilly, Miller, and Luckow (Baculovirus
expression manual)

RIPA: 10 mM Tris-HCl, pH 8.0; 1 mM EDTA; 150 mM NaCl; 1% NP-40;1% sodium
deoxycholate; 0.1% SDS.  Store at 4 C.

Alas, RIPA lysis buffer may mean different things to different people, just
like TES buffer is.

Jim Miller
Indianapolis, IN