Phenol distillation

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Wed Nov 3 08:17:41 EST 1993

> >surface are often fatal. These may all be mol.biol. mythical
'facts' but until
> >somenone disproves them to my satisfaction I for one will never
re-distill my
> >own phenol.
>
> Do you have someone dispense petrol into your vehicle, as well :)

In our country, yes...!!

> Distilling phenol is a simple process requiring only a little
prudence
> to be done safely.  At US$11 a kilo, distillation of crude
crystalline
> phenol is a good way for scientists to economize.  If phenol
distillation
> is the biggest threat to one's personal safety, one is fortunate
indeed.

And ANY threat to one's personal safety in a lab is to be decried -
we have a solvent extraction unit in our building which used to
routinely re-distill phenol: and the fumes in the corridor had to be
seen/smelt to be believed!  Fortunately, they stopped the practice.

Any advance on chloroform and liver cancer, anyone?  The OTHER
ingredient in most DNA extractions?  And does EVERYONE use CHCl3 in
a fume hood?  And how do you dispose of YOURS?  Should make you
think, shouldn't it?

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |                                      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |      "Lord, won't you buy me         |
 | Dept Microbiology           |          A Mer-ce-des Benz           |
 | University of Cape Town     |     My friends all have Porsches     |
 |                             |          I must make amends..."      |                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |            (Pearl, 1971)             |