Fixing sequencing gels

srgcles at grv.grace.cri.nz srgcles at grv.grace.cri.nz
Thu Nov 4 19:21:14 EST 1993

>As it is virtually impossible to directly compare the same gel fixed and
>unfixed, I was wondering why you felt it makes a difference ? I have
>Jim
>J. Graham

I agree that result-wise it impossible to tell the difference between unfixed
and fixed gels PROVIDED the unfixed gel doesn't stick to the Xray film. I
prefer to fix sequencing gels since I find unfixed ones take longer to dry and
always seem a bit tacky and prone to sticking to the X-ray film.

Sequencing gels are tougher than you may think. If they come of the backing
plate in washing you can sort them out by adding more fixative and taking a
lot of care. Another pair of hands helps. I've got some potentail disasters to
work ok.

PS Hi to other Kiwi net readers, esp Martin K, Tania S and Andrew Dog-breath
Fellowes

Brian Scrimshaw
Wellingtn
New Zealand