Quickhyb solutions

Vivian Miao vmiao at oregon.uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 3 23:19:48 EST 1993

In article <9311032012.AA07579 at net.bio.net>, KNECHT at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU (Dave
Knecht) wrote:

> Hi-  I have recently come across several ads for companies selling hybridizatio
> n solutions that are supposed to give better results in 1 hour than traditional
>  overnight hybridizations.  They claim low viscosity so I presume they are not
> using dextran sulfate.  Anyone know what the trick is or if they really work as
>  well as advertised?

Hi David,

I don't know what the trick is in thes fast hyb solutions, but if you are
not particularly interested in what the companies' trick is, but just in
trying something with low viscosity and no dextran $ulfate, maybe you would
be interested in an SDS-based hyb solution.

0.25 M sodium phosphate, pH 7.2
1.0 M EDTA pH7.2
7% SDS
1.0 % BSA

I've done hybridizations as short as 6 hrs that work fine (maybe it could
go even shorter, but I have to go home sometime!)