Fixing sequencing gels

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 4 13:01:53 EST 1993

In article <2b9fef$ld1 at u.cc.utah.edu> Chris Williams <chris at corona.med.utah.edu> writes:
>Fixing sequencing gels
>.
>I have never fixed my sequencing/genotyping gels.  I usauuly don't even
>dry them down. Typically I use 2 pieces of Whatman 3mm paper and wrap in
>saran wrap and expose.

Ditto! Over past 7 yrs of LOTS of sequencing, I've NEVER detected
significant diff. between fixed vs. unfixed vs dried vs undried. There is
SLIGHT difference between dried & undried if film exposed at rm temp, but
not is at -70C.

I simply lift off gel with Whatman 3MM (I prefer 21cm x 100m rolls .. < $$ :-)
Then cover with plastic wrap, expose film (-70C vs rm temp DOES make SLIGHT
difference).

best regards,
Andre Hamel                              email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services          lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
545 University Crescent,                   FAX:(204) 945-8062
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
CANADA   R3T 5S6            ********************