Creepy sequencing gels

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Mon Nov 8 02:31:17 EST 1993

> > it.  In a relatively short period of time, the top edge of the
gel had
> > moved upwards and about a 1/4" had actually extruded out from
between the
> > plates!
>
> We have had the same problem, periodically. Expanding gels seem to
occur
> more often in summer months when the ambient temperature in the
lab can
> be more than 30 C.

There was a Scientific American article on "Gels" a while ago (like
7 or so years, the way time goes these days...B-|  ) - and it looks
like the simple answer to why acrylamide expands is - HEAT.  They
had some amazing pictures of gels expanding to 10x volume, dependent
on heat and concentration and buffer.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |                                      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |      "Lord, won't you buy me         |
 | Dept Microbiology           |          A Mer-ce-des Benz           |
 | University of Cape Town     |     My friends all have Porsches     |
 |                             |          I must make amends..."      |                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |            (Pearl, 1971)             |