northern blots

wetsel_r at wums.wustl.edu wetsel_r at wums.wustl.edu
Mon Nov 8 11:14:51 EST 1993

In a previous article, AMRUT at UCSVAX.UCS.UMASS.EDU (AMRUT S BHOGLE) wrote:
>Dear Readers,
>
>	This might sound like a very stupid question.  Can one store a nylon
>membrane after transfer of RNA for a few days before using it for hybridization?
>I also wonder how many times can the same membrane be used for rebridization.

OH *YES*!!!  We do it all the time...  Run the northern, blot it overnight
(NaPO4 transfer), cross-link it, air dry it, put into a hybridization bag
and wait until the probe is ready!  Once cross-linked, I've probed one
Northern blot up to three times.  Sometimes we've waited up to a month
prior to probing.

BTW - this isn't a stupid question!

Hope this helps,
David
+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                                                         +