northern blots

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Mon Nov 8 15:11:26 EST 1993

>In a previous article, AMRUT at UCSVAX.UCS.UMASS.EDU (AMRUT S BHOGLE) wrote:
>>Dear Readers,
>>
>>	This might sound like a very stupid question.  Can one store a nylon
>>membrane after transfer of RNA for a few days before using it for hybridization?
>>I also wonder how many times can the same membrane be used for rebridization.
>
>OH *YES*!!!  We do it all the time...  Run the northern, blot it overnight
>(NaPO4 transfer), cross-link it, air dry it, put into a hybridization bag
>and wait until the probe is ready!  Once cross-linked, I've probed one
>Northern blot up to three times.  Sometimes we've waited up to a month
>prior to probing.
>
>BTW - this isn't a stupid question!
>
>Hope this helps,
>David
>+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +

How do you strip your blots? I have problems with very "sticky" probes even
after stripping twice w/ boiling 0.1% SDS (membrane is Hybond-N, Amersham)?

helge

      ***        		Helge Weissig
    * . . *      		La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation
   *       *  	   	10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.
   * \___/ *    	 	La Jolla, CA 92037
    *     *	    	  	phone:  	(619) 455 6480 ext. 253
      ***  	 	     	FAX:    	(619) 455 0181

SMILE, tomorrow will be worse!