downward dna blotting

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Nov 10 15:12:34 EST 1993

In article <01H55EGYA1CY001829 at GW.AGR.CA>, HACHEY at ABRSLE.AGR.CA (john hachey) writes:

> >Hello, netters
> >I'm looking for a paper which described downward DNA blotting using
> >NaOH solution instead of conventional upward Sounthern blotting. I
> >huess I have seen that paper a few months ago from Biotechniques, but
> >I don't remember exact volume & page. It'll be appreciated if anyone
> >let me know it. Thanks very much.
> >
> >Lee   (lees at skyfox.usask.ca)
> >National Research Council
> >Saskatoon, SK
> >Canada S7N 0W9
>

> Try Chomczynski. 1992 One -hour downward alkaline capillary transfer
> for blotting of dna and rna. Anal. biochem 201:134-139
>
> John

If you have the cash to spare then you should investigate the "TurboBlotter"
by S&S (Schleicher and Schuell).  This basically consists of a couple of
pieces of plastic that support a reservoir above a gel/membrane/blot paper
stack.  Our lab has been using this for a few months now and noone has returned
to the traditional method - the main reason that complete transfer in 1 hour
is particularly convenient.  The folks that have to transfer high MW RNA are
also happier.
	At the moment S&S have an offer (at least in the USA) that they will
provide the device free ($10 value !!! - wow) if you buy one of the refill
packs (the offer expires at the end of December).  The cost for an 8 x 14 cm
refill pack is currently $47.  The device is, of course, completely reusable.
We bought the kits and now use the devices with our own choice of membranes
and blot blocks.
			Bernard

No, I don't have anything to do with S&S myself, I just buy their stuff
occasionally.

bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
bmurray at helix.nih.gov
Bernard Murray, Ph.D., National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda MD