Patents, Copyrights & Licence Agreements

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Nov 11 18:39:39 EST 1993

MANY (most!?!) folks DO use enzymes OTHER than Taq for MANY applications
... cycle sequencing ... and PCR included! The patent claim is so absurd
as to be a laugh! ... I guess MONEY talks :^) ... not that bribery was/is
involved, but that with LOTS of $$ to blab blab blab in courts, the
process drags on (like this letter of mine :^) ... I can "buy" the cloned
Taq argument but NOT the T.aquaticus source one! ... the PCR process
itself does appear to be on sound ground in favor of PE/Cetus (H.LR).

Vent, DV and Pfu DO appear to be SUPERIOR than Taq for many PCR cloning
and sequencing applications (experience) ... THEN there's cost! Here in
Canada, $ 0.40/U versus $1.00/U ... at least makes a difference to me. ...
imagine heavy duty PCR labs! I prefer to make as best use of my education
and test it by making my own "kits" where/whene ever possible ... now I've
got to dig up earlier (1970's) articles on Taq :^)

Andre