Kit busting: Enhanced Chemiluminescence

ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu ashendel at aclcb.purdue.edu
Fri Nov 12 01:12:35 EST 1993

I read and have since lost a reference to a paper that described the use of
phenols for stabilizing the chemiluminescence generated by the action of
HRP+hydrogenperoxide on luminol.  I believe that this may provide a clue to
the nature of the magic (proprietary) ingredient Amersham includes in its
ECL kit solutions.  As the rest of the reagents are quite inexpensive
(H2O2, luminol, buffer), I would like to see if I can obtain equivalent
results with some of the phenols indicated in that paper to make a do-it-
yourself ECL(tm)-like reagent mix (for detection of peroxidase on western
blots) at a fraction of the $215 kit price charged by Amersham.  I am aware
of the NEN BLAST (tm) kit.  Also, an old Worthington reference on HRP
indicaes that it tolerates up to 170 mM phenol in the assay.

Has anyone done this successfully?  What is a good phenol to use and at
what concentration?  What is the citation for this paper?

My apologies if this was discussed previouly.  Thanks in advance,

Curt Ashendel
Dept. Medicinal Chemistry, Purdue University