Northern background

Dubear Kroening dubear at molbio.cbs.umn.edu
Mon Nov 15 22:05:58 EST 1993

Hi all,

I have been following the discussion on Northerns with great interest.  In
our case we have Northern blots that sometimes have high background.
The probes we get the high background are always larger (>2kb), while an
identical blot with the same prehyb and hyb solns (except for the probe,
of course) will turn out just fine.

Has anyone else noticed something like this?  Any idea why a larger probe
will cause high background (this occurs all over the blot, not just in the
lanes)?  Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Dubear Kroening
dubear at molbio.cbs.umn.edu