Transfection with beta-Gal-Vector

Frank Gaunitz cbkga01 at mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Nov 16 10:20:45 EST 1993

 am doing transfection experiments in primary cultures from rat liver
with vectors that carry a lacZ reporter gene.
Expression levels are determined by a methyl-umbelliferryl assay.
ONPG is not sensitive enough.
Galacto-light doesn't work, because, our extracts kill the enhancer
used in this assay.
My problem now is, that I have very high backround levels of lysosomal
galactosidase activity.
Different pH in the detection reaction does not lead to a proper
discrimination between lysosomal and transfected (E. coli) activity
of the enzyme.
Does any one have a good idea, how to kill ? the lysosomal activity
or how to enhance E. coli beta-Gal activity.

Frank Gaunitz
Physiologisch-chemisches Institut
Universitaet Tuebingen
Hoppe-Seyler-str. 4