LB vs. TB?

malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi malaine at sara.cc.utu.fi
Tue Nov 16 07:14:14 EST 1993

In article <19931115100418.bloksber at thomashaw-at.css.msu.edu>, bloksber at pilot.msu.edu  (Leonard N. Bloksberg) writes:
> I have heard claims of doubling plasmid yields by growing bugs up in TB
> rather than LB.  Does anyone have any experience to support or debunk this
> notion?  Since TB is more trouble to make up, and costs a lot more, is it
> worth it?  Media recipes follow.  Thanks.

I have used Terrific Broth (TB) medium regularly when isolating plasmid DNA.
In my experience it results in a three- to four-fold increase in the yield of
pBluescript SK DNA compared to LB medium. So if you feel that you are not
getting enough DNA out of your miniprep, I can strongly recommend TB instead of
LB. Just try and you'll know :-)

Cheers, Marko

Marko Laine						(((((
Univ. of Turku, Dept. of Botany			       (-O-O-)
Biocity 6A					---oOOo--(_)--oOOo----
20520 Turku
Finland
Malaine at polaris.utu.fi